Are you coming to OutRVA (see what we did there) to Pridefest 2014 Saturday? Yes! We're very excited. We put together some tips to help you through the weekend.
1. GET THERE EARLY
- This one is a given, but seriously do it; especially if you're driving. Parking near Brown's Island is pretty limited and nobody wants to walk up that hill after a long day at Pride. Remember we have Uber now. Haven't used it yet? Sign up and use code FIRSTRIDE30 to get yourself a $30 credit. Get to Pride and home safe. Update: Uber is offering a unique code for Pride: VAPRIDE (but it's only up to $20.)
2. HAVE A DISCOUNTED BRUNCH BEFORE PRIDE
3. GET A STICKER
- You may have read about OutRVA in a little paper called the New York Times. Get yourself an Out Sticker at Pride and slap it on top of your RVA sticker. Then get yourself a photo in front of the huge OutRVA sign (put these on Instagram maybe? Tag them with #OutRVA so we can see your lovely faces.)
4. BRING THE KIDS
- Pridefest is a family affair. The kids can take a woodworking class sponsored by Home Depot, dress up for photo booth photos and read in the Cozy Reading Nook provided by Jasper Gunn with the Transgender Childcare Co-op.
5. BE A KID YOURSELF
-Ok, technically the Henna and Facepainting by thehennalady.com are for the kids; but henna looks great on everybody, so why not?
7. SAY HEY TO THE GOV
- Governor Terry McAuliffe will be on hand to reintroduce Grand Marshalls Timothy B. Bostic, Tony C. London, Carol Schall and Mary Townley. The Macker takes the stage at 6 p.m., don't miss it.
8. PICK AN AFTER PARTY
- OutRVA has a full list of after parties at the bottom of their awesome Pride blog post. We think Godfrey's party sounds super fun, but we're suckers for face painting and carnival themed anything.
9. HAVE FUN
- Seriously. Tweet at us, VisitRichmondVa or OutRVA if there's anything we can do to make your time in Richmond better. And tag your Instagrams with #VisitRichmond and #OutRVA so we can see and repost them!
10. TRY to get a LAVERNE COX ticket
- Laverne is speaking at the University of Richmond as part of UR Comes Out the Monday after Pride and tickets are sold way out. We suggest watching Craigslist, Stubhub and maybe just begging an UR student.