The first foreign settlers migrating into the area now known as Aberdeen were Scottish Highlanders, fleeing their parent country to the shores of North Carolina and eventually up the Cape Fear River and its tributaries inland to the Pine Barrens of Moore County. Early settlement was often discouraged by the lack of forage for animals and the poor soil conditions for farming, but the Scottish community of Blue's Crossing was settled in the mid 1850's in the area of land from the "Head of the Rockfish" to the "Devil's Gut", two bodies of water making up the flow to Aberdeen Creek. Although the land area was more than 10 square miles, only approximately 300 people inhabited the densely wooded acreage at the time of settlement. These proud Scottish people remained loyal to the British throne during the Revolution, and were involved in many skirmishes with other Moore County settlers who supported the war. As the decade of the 1850's concluded, success and the promise of future growth seemed destined for the area. The tar, pitch and turpentine (naval stores) industry prospered. Transportation by the wooden, hand-laid Plank Road over the sandy ridges carried the products to market. However, progress came to a halt as the Civil War began. More than 1500 soldiers served in the Confederate Army, fighting in most of the major battles. Over 500 were killed in action or died of wounds, decimating the labor supply. Following the war, most businesses and industries were devastated. But the proud Scottish heritage of the families would not be defeated, and those soldiers returning to the area began establishing new businesses. Soon after the Civil War, the Raleigh & August Air Line (now owned by the CSX Transportation System) was completed through the county and through the struggling community of Blue's Crossing. In the 1870's the production of turpentine, resin and tar from the pine trees, and the cutting of the pine trees for the timber itself, required better transportation facilities and a unity in government. In 1877, a post office was established with Malcolm J. Blue serving as postmaster. In 1881, Allison F. Page established a rail line leading from the Raleigh & Augusta north westerly from Blue's Crossing through the magnificent forestlands that were being cleared by the lumberjacks working for him. In 1888, the name of Blue's Crossing was changed to Aberdeen, and the native Scots living in the outlying areas began to centralize into a closer knit community. In 1892, John Blue built a rail line from the Raleigh & Augusta in Aberdeen eastward reaching Fayetteville and the Cape Fear River, making Aberdeen a central hub for industry and manufacturing. Allison F. Page bought vast tracts of virgin pine forest from Malcolm McMillian Blue for the timber. The same land was later sold for $1 an acre, having been stripped of its virgin pine trees. Mr. James W. Tutts, a wealthy northern fountain manufacturer, made the purchase in 1895, and began to design and build a resort community that he called Tuttown, now known as Pinehurst. Pinehurst: the golf capitol of the South!