Finished in 1873, the Alexandria City Hall and Market House replaced Benjamin H. Latrobe’s 1817 city hall, which burned in 1871. The present building is in the Second Empire style, a favorite Gilded Age motif. The combination of a town hall building with a surrounding market space protected by an arcade dated to the Middle Ages in Europe, and was often used in American cities until late in the 19th century. This is an unusually grand example, constructed in a high Victorian style. Architect Adolph Cluss was a communist and friend of Karl Marx who also designed the Smithsonian Institution’s Arts and Industries Building. Offices now fill the arcade.