After several attempts to argue his case for a true public library to no avail, Samuel Tucker organized the protest in August 1939. He instructed five African Americans, to go into the reading room and refuse to leave. He also gave instructions to the men to be respectably dressed and peacefully uncooperative. The five men were arrested, charged and soon released. The charges were dropped. As a result of the case, the City built the small Robinson Library for African Americans in 1940 which is now incorporated into the Alexandria Black History Museum.