Aquia Church, a remarkably sophisticated and intact colonial Anglican church, was completed in 1757. Docents at the church office give tours. The church is a National Historic Landmark. The construction of Aquia Church began in 1751; three days before completion, on February 17, 1754, the building burned. Contractor Mourning Richards and mason William Copein rebuilt the church within the original walls. Much of their interior woodwork, including a three-tiered pulpit and elegant altarpiece, survived Union occupation during the Civil War and can be seen today.