< Back

Aroostock War Fort Kent Blockhouse

On a bluff above the river sits the Fort Kent Blockhouse (National Park Service), a wooden fort built in 1838 to repel the invasion from Canada that never came. It was two stories high and six sided, with small, square windows spaced six to a side. Forty men could have sheltered inside and poured musket fire on anyone attempting to come into the town from the river. The Blockhouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.