ASHLAND owes its existence chiefly to RANDOLPH-MAGON COLLEGE for men and women. It was the first college in the United States to be founded by the Methodist Episcopal Church. The charter was granted at the 1829-30 session of the Virginia Legislature, and the college was opened at Boydton in Mecklenberg Co. in 1832. John Randolph of Roanoke, Va., and Nathan Macon of North Carolina were honored in the name. In 1868, when the Virginia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church joined with the Baltimore Conference, the school was moved to its present site to please the Maryland group. In 1890 the Randolph-Macon system was organized; it now includes prepara- tory schools for boys at Front Royal and Bedford City, one for girls at Danville, and the Randolph-Macon Women's College at Lynchburg.The rambling buildings are hidden by tall trees, and the campus is particularly delightful in the spring when thousands of yellow daffo dils cover the lawns.