< Back

Bala Cynwyd

  • City Avenue to Old lancaster Rd Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004

Bala Cynwyd lies in the Welsh Tract of Pennsylvania and was settled in the 1680s by Welsh Quakers, who named it after the town of Bala and the village of Cynwyd in Wales. A mixed residential community made up predominantly of single-family detached homes, it extends west of the Philadelphia city limits represented by City Line Avenue from Old Lancaster Road at 54th Street west to Meeting House Lane and then along Manayunk and Conshohocken State Roads north to Mary Watersford Road, then east along Belmont Avenue back to City Line. This large residential district contains some of Lower Merion's oldest and finest stone mansions, built mainly from 1880 through the 1920s and located in the sycamore-lined district between Montgomery Avenue and Levering Mill Road, as well as split level tract houses built east of Manayunk Road just after World War II. As the name indicates, Bala Cynwyd was originally settled in 1682 by Welsh colonists of the same group that settled and developed Lower Merion. These sturdy pioneers came into this splendid rolling country, lying west of the Schuylkill River, very early in the development of Pennsylvania. The sterling qualities of these men and women have been perpetuated in the home loving, civic minded communities that have grown up in the region where their scattered farms, mills and hamlets were established. These colonists were Quakers, from the lake region of northern Wales, and they came here to freely practice their faith and to live in peace with their neighbors. These goals are evidenced when they established the landmarks of the Merion Friends Meetinghouse and the Lower Merion Academy