BELFAST, (160 alt., 4,993 pop.), a popular tourist cen- ter and seat of Waldo Co., has parallel streets that follow a rolling terrain, which rises in a majestic sweep from the banks of the Pas-sagassawakeag. Its highest points command views of the island- sprinkled waters of Penobscot Bay. The town was named for Belfast, Ireland, by a group of Scotch- Irish settlers who came to the place in 1770, after having tried set- tlement at Londonderry, N.H. Belfast was harassed by the British in 1779 and its settlers were driven away, but they successfully re- established themselves five years later. The city has achieved prosperity by catering to the many summer residents and visitors. Reminiscent of an earlier prosperity are the many fine old houses, whose chief interest lies in their variation on the standard 19th century architecture. Between Belfast and Brunswick US 1 follows the western edge of Penobscot Bay, then gradually swings SW. to cross the Kennebec River. The countryside is fairly open, with distant views of the ocean. Houses belong chiefly to the 19th century, and there are few signs of recent prosperity. The area around Camden is particularly beautiful, the hills being covered with evergreens, though these grow thinner toward the south.