Designed by James Wren and constructed 1767–73, Christ Church is one of Alexandria’s most notable landmarks. Both George Washington and Robert E. Lee worshiped there. The site includes the old churchyard. Christ Church is an outstanding example of colonial architecture, designed by one of the few known architects of the period. The original pulpit and altarpiece are intact, and the gallery was added in 1785 and the steeple in 1799. On January 1, 1942, President Franklin D. Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill attended services there on the World Day of Prayer for Peace. Docents provide tours of the church and grounds.