The octagonal brick City Market, also called the Farmer’s Market, was constructed in 1879 on the site of Petersburg’s traditional town marketplace. A farmer’s market is held here each summer. Bernard J. Black, a Baltimore builder who came to Petersburg in the 1850s, designed the City Market. Located in the heart of the city’s old commercial center, the market building includes a projecting shed roof all the way around it to shelter the vendors. Several 19th-century commercial buildings and railroad depots surround the large plaza in which the market is centered.