Philip R. Fendall, for whom this frame town house was completed in 1785, was a director of the Potomac Company and a founder of the Bank of Alexandria, married three times—each time to a Lee family member. Fendall’s cousin, Henry “Light-Horse Harry” Lee, was a Revolutionary War hero and father of Robert E. Lee. Louis A. Cazenove later purchased the house and remodeled it in the Greek Revival style early in the 1850s. During the Civil War, it was a Union army hospital annex. United Mine Workers leader John L. Lewis lived there from 1937 until his death in 1969. Today, the Lee-Fendall House is a museum that interprets the life of the Lee family.