After the Battle of Monocacy, on July 9, 1864, the Confederates had a free hand for a time in Maryland. Gen. B. T. Johnson was detached with a cavalry force to destroy the lines of communication with Baltimore. From Cockeysville Johnson sent Maj. Harry Gilmor with a detachment of the Second Maryland Cavalry, C.S.A., to burn the railroad bridges over the Gunpowder and Bush Rivers. Gilmor's raiders moved along the Joppa Road to Magnolia Station, where they captured the morning express from Baltimore, set fire to it, and backed it onto the Gunpowder Bridge. On their way to Gunpowder, Gilmor and his men camped in and around an old Stone Barn building located near Lynch's Corner.