YELLOW TAVERN, 105.6 m., is a hamlet that took its name from a former stage house. A short distance N. along US1 is the SITE OF THE BATTLE OF YELLOW TAVERN, in which the brilliant 19-year- old cavalry leader, Gen. J. E. B. Stuart, was fatally wounded May 11,1864, in a brush with Sheridan's troops in their attempted raid on Richmond. His death was a great blow to Lee and to the Confederate cause. HALF-WAY HOUSE, 11.2 m., is an old-time stagehouse that took its name from its position between Richmond and Petersburg. The side that now faces the road was originally the rear, the road having formerly run a hundred feet or more farther E. During the Battle of Drewry's Bluff the place served as Union headquarters, and the taproom was used by the staff doctors as an office. The house, erected in 1740, has recently been restored to some semblance of its earlier appearance and is again an inn; the log cabin and nearby wellhouse are recent additions, though the well itself has served many generations of travelers. In the early days of the inn notices on the walls announced that the charge for a meal was 1 5 Ibs. of tobacco, while the charge for lodging for both master and servant was 10 Ibs. of tobacco. Local tradition is that the mint julep originated hi this place. Today modern murals in the dining room depict early traffic on the pike.