Constructed in 1862, Fort Drewry on Drewry's Bluff stood as a vital bastion blocking the progress of the U. S. Navy up the James River toward the Confederate capital of Richmond. A decisive battle on May 15, 1862, ended the Union naval threat to the capital city when defenders defeated the famous ironclad USS Monitor and four other warships. Today the fort survives intact, with a one mile walking trail and numerous exhibits. A viewing platform offers a sweeping vista of the James River and the May 15 battlefield. A Richmond National Battlefield Park site.