Fort Clifton was a Confederate stronghold on the Appomattox River, serving as an important link in the line that defended Richmond and Petersburg in 1864 and 1865. It controlled navigation on the river north of Petersburg. Fort Clifton has walking trails and Civil War fortifications. It was the site of a Civil War battery that kept Union gunboats from reaching Petersburg while the city was under siege. The park has a wildlife observation deck to observe protected wetlands. A weekend festival is held each May at the site.