American Impressionist painter Gari Melchers acquired this house in 1916 and restored it as his home and workplace. The house and grounds, including gardens and outbuildings, are open to the public. Belmont is an evolved dwelling, probably incorporating a late-18th-century house behind later additions. Joseph B. Ficklen, a local businessman, bought the house in 1823 and later enlarged it. During the Civil War, Federal artillery batteries stood nearby, but the Ficklens were Union supporters and U.S. Army Gen. John Gibbon ensured that they were protected. The house contains artworks that Melchers collected as well as his own paintings.