Located south of Fredericksburg, this Greek Revival–style church was built in 1859; the congregation dates to 1788. Not open to the public. A Virginia Civil War Trails marker interprets its role in the Civil War. On May 21, 1864, Union Gen. Ulysses S. Grant stopped here en route south after the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House. Men and wagons continued toward Richmond on today’s U.S. Route 1, as Grant and his officers sat in the yard on pews dragged from the church, listened to a report, and studied a map. Grant then wrote a dispatch. Photographer Timothy O’Sullivan captured the events in three photos from a balcony window—almost a “movie” of the war.