< Back

Civil War Site North Anna Battlefield Park

On May 24–27, 1864, Union and Confederate armies faced each other across the North Anna River. Confederate earthworks, the scene of a bloody Federal attack, are preserved in the park. Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee’s army built earthworks here on the North Anna River bluffs to defend nearby Hanover Junction and the capital of Richmond from Union Gen. Ulysses S. Grant’s army, marching south after the Battles of the Wilderness and Spotsylvania Court House. The Confederates repulsed an ill-advised attack against their strong works here in the park on May 23, 1864, and Grant soon moved east and south to get around the position.