Opposite Red Beach, in the St. Croix River, is DOCHET ISLAND (40 alt.), which is reached by rowboat. In 1603 Pierre du Guast, the Sieur de Monts, received the trading concession for Acadia, which, in the grand manner of the times, was defined as a territory extending from Cape Breton Island to a point well below the present New YorkCity. In the following spring he set sail with his lieutenant, Samuel de Champlain, and four score colonists, including a Huguenot minister and a Catholic priest, landing on June 26, 1604, on this island, which he called St. Croix, and on which he expected to establish a trading post and settlement. So sketchy was knowledge of the New World at the time, that the settlers brought with them part of the timber used in the erection of their buildings. Before winter arrived the island held a storehouse, dining hall, kitchen, barracks, a blacksmith shop, and carefully laid out gardens. An unusually severe winter and scurvy wrought such discouragement that in the spring of 1605 de Monts and Champlain sailed ofFS. to find a more suitable place for the colony; in August they decided to move it to the spot that is now Annapolis Royal, in Nova Scotia. Dochet Island was not entirely abandoned, however; the French used it for a garrison at intervals for some years.