The fort at Drewry’s Bluff was the anchor point for the main line of defenses protecting Richmond from a southerly approach. Located just 8 miles downriver from Richmond, the fort was the main obstacle to a Federal water approach in the early years of the war. From this fort, an inner line of earthworks extended south to Fort Stevens and then west to the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad. A secondary outer line ran southwest from Fort Stevens to Wooldridge Hill. On May 15, 1862, a Federal flotilla led by the ironclad USS Monitor attempted to force its way past the fort to bombard Richmond. For three hours the battle raged, while the fate of Richmond hung in the balance. Finally, the Federal commander realized that the river blockade could not be breached and signaled for his fleet to withdraw. Richmond was never again seriously threatened by a water-based attack. Drewry’s Bluff has a walking trail, interpretive signs, an artillery piece and a viewing platform for the James River. Living history events are frequently held at the park during the spring, summer and fall. A self-guided trail leads visitors to a well-preserved Confederate fort. Located 12 miles south of Richmond, just off of U.S. 1. Sunrise-sunset daily. Free.
- Hours (General Information): 9 a.m.-sunset daily
- Attraction Fee: Free