- 441 East Fordham Road Bronx, NY 10458
- P. (718) 817-1000
Fordham University is an independent university in the Jesuit tradition. It was established in 1841 as St. John’s College by the Right Rev. John Hughes, Coadjutor-Bishop (later Archbishop) of New York, on old Rose Hill Manor in the village of Fordham, then part of Westchester County. The name Fordham is derived from the Anglo-Saxon words “ford” and “ham,” meaning a wading place or ford by a settlement.