< Back

Fork Inn/Sutherland’s Tavern

Fork Inn is a restored 14-room tavern built in 1803. It served as a stagecoach stop, and was used as a hospital after one of the last Civil War battles. Furnishings are from the 19th century, and Civil War memorabilia include weapons, personal items, clothing, medical instruments and a Confederate soldier’s wooden leg. Fork Inn is one of the sites along the 26-stop Lee’s Retreat route from Petersburg to Appomattox Courthouse National Historical Park.