Fort Stevens was constructed in 1862 after the Seven Days Campaign, as part of the defenses of Richmond. It was used as a training area until May 1864, when the fort was under attack by the Federal Army of the James. On May 16 the Confederate counter attack was centered on the fort, and repulsed the Army of the James back to its prepared positions near Bermuda Hundred. There were about 35,000 combined forces in this battle, Union and Confederate. View the Confederate fort and see interpretive signs along the fort trail. A Chesterfield County Parks site.