LOUISBURG, seat of Franklin Co. The town dates from 1758. Situated at the "old fords of the Tar" River, it was named in 1764 in memory of the capture of the French fortress at Louisburg, Nova Scotia, by American forces in 1745. The main street follows the old highway from Philadelphia to New Orleans once traveled by John Marshall and other notables. One of the last remaining bands of Tuscarora Indians in North Carolina was exterminated in 1725 at the junction of Lynch's Creek and the Tar River, 4 m. NW. of Louisburg. Skeletons of many of these Indians have been found nearby.Lumber is the principal manufactured product, from 20 to 30 million ft. being shipped annually. Louisburg is the birthplace of Edwin W. Fuller, author of Angel in the Cloud and Other Poems and Sea Gift (published 1873), the latter a novel once so popular at the University of North Carolina that it was known as the Freshman's Bible. The MARKER AND DRINKING FOUNTAIN on Courthouse Square was erected by the North Carolina Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy, in 1923 "in appreciation of the fact that the first flag of the Confederacy, 'The Stars and Bars,' was designed by a son of North Carolina, Orren Randolph Smith, and was made under his direction by Catherine Rebecca (Murphy) Winborne. Forwarded to Montgomery, Ala., Feb. 12, 1861. First displayed in North Carolina at Louisburg, March 18, 1861." Smith's portrait, by Mrs. Marshall Williams of Faison, N.C., hangs in the Governor's mansion in Raleigh.