Gadsby’s Tavern comprises two adjacent buildings: the 1785 tavern and the 1792 City Hotel. The combined structure houses a restaurant and a museum, and docents give tours. Visits and meals there are both enjoyable. In the 18th and early 19th centuries, travelers lodged and dined at taverns, often sharing beds with strangers—privacy was almost unknown. Taverns were social and commercial centers where deals were struck, gossip was traded, and friendships were formed. From 1796 to 1808, Englishman John Gadsby operated the tavern and hotel, the scene of dances, theatrical performances, and community gatherings. Patrons included Thomas Jefferson and John Adams.