George Washington spent most of his boyhood at Ferry Farm, the site of Parson Weems’s “cherry tree” story. Ferry Farm is open to the public, with ongoing archaeological digs. Washington lived at Ferry Farm from 1738, when he was six, until he moved to Mount Vernon in 1754 after his father died. His mother continued to live at the farm until she moved to Fredericksburg in 1772. The oldest building on the property dates to the early 19th century. Archaeologists have located the foundations of the simple frame dwelling in which Washington grew to adulthood.