Great Shiplock Park
- 100 Pear Street Richmond, VA 23223
- Visit Website
The great lock, built between 1850-1854, connected the James River with the Richmond Dock, completing the James River and Kanawha Canal system that bypassed seven miles of falls and continued 197 miles through Virginia’s western mountain ranges. This park is the lowest of historic Kanawha Canal locks with an interpretive display.It also offers great fishing off Chapel Island.