< Back


Henderson was the hometown of PBS host Charlie Rose, and county seat of Vance County, among its other achievements. It’s a tourist spot for its nearness to Lake Kerr.At Henderson, Route 1 angles sharply eastward, away from I-85. It became a four-lane concrete expressway called the Capital Highway as it ran in a shallow arc around Henderson.The city was named in honor of former North Carolina Supreme Court Chief Justice Leonard Henderson, who lived nearby and was a friend of early settler Lewis Reavis. Henderson was officially chartered by the North Carolina General Assembly in 1841. In this community John Chavis (1763-38), Negro slave, school teacher, and preacher, lived and taught both whites and Negroes. Chavis was owned by the Bullock family. Demonstrating early in life his aptitude to learn, he was sent to Princeton University to be educated under Dr. Witherspoon. The story is related that Chavis went to the university as the result of a wager to determine whether a Negro was capable of receiving higher education. His long and useful career attested his unusual qualifications. For many years he served as a Presbyterian minister. Following the Nat Turner rebellion in Virginia, the North Carolina Legislature passed an act making it unlawful to teach a Negro, or any person of African descent, to read or write. Upon the advice of friends, Chavis discontinued his work and was thereafter compensated by the Presbyterian Church. His activities as a teacher and preacher extended, however, over the first 30 years of the 19th century. Children of many prominent North Carolinians attended his school, among them the two sons of Chief Justice Henderson. As a child, U.S. Senator Willie P. Mangum (1831-36, 1840-47, President pro tern. 1842-45, 1848-53), who was also a member of the U.S. House of Representatives (1823-26), was one of Chavis' pupils; another was Charles Manly, later Gover- nor of North Carolina (1849-51). Chavis often preached in white churches. One of these, the Nutbush Presbyterian Church, is still standing at Townsville.