< Back

Historic Woodlawn

  • 9000 Richmond Highway Alexandria, VA 22309
  • P. (703) 780-4000
  • Visit Website

Woodlawn is a gracious 126-acre estate that was originally part of George Washington’s Mount Vernon. The main Federal-style house was designed by the architect of the U.S. Capitol, Dr. William Thornton, and constructed between 1800 and 1805 for Washington’s nephew Major Lawrence Lewis and his bride, Eleanor “Nelly” Custis Lewis. In 1952, Woodlawn became the first historic site owned by The National Trust for Historic Preservation.