James Monroe, our 5th president, practiced law in Fredericksburg from 1786 until he moved to Albemarle County in 1799. His office stood on this site. Although it was long believed that the buildings on this site housed James Monroe’s law office, recent research showed that they replaced his original office during several construction phases beginning in 1816. In 1927, when the structures were about to be demolished, Monroe’s New York descendants bought and restored them to display many of his personal possessions and to interpret his life and accomplishments. The museum is open daily.