Jones Point Park, located near the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, has two important historical artifacts: the original south corner boundary stone for Washington, D.C., dating to 1794, and the 1855 Jones Point Lighthouse. In 1791, George Washington led the survey that carved the District of Columbia from Maryland and Virginia, including Alexandria. The survey began at Jones Point, and a stone was installed to mark the spot. It was replaced in 1794 and embedded in the seawall. One of the first federal projects the new nation undertook was the construction of lighthouses to protect shipping. The Jones Point Lighthouse, built in 1855, served that function until 1926.