Fielding Lewis, brother-in-law of George Washington, built Kenmore in the 1770s. The city has grown to surround the house, once the centerpiece of a 1,300–acre plantation. Open daily; closed Jan.-Feb. Fielding Lewis, a wealthy merchant, married Betty Washington in 1750. During the Revolutionary War, Lewis built an arms factory to supply the American army and lost most of his fortune. Lewis’s mansion, which was named Kenmore by a subsequent owner, is one of the nation’s most noted works of Georgian architecture. It features rare interior plasterwork, including elaborate ceiling medallions and an overmantel with scenes from Aesop’s fables.