The LINCOLN UNIVERSITY CAMPUS extends over 450 acres. A stone archway stands at the entrance. This institution is maintained by the Presbyterian Church for the education of young black men and women. It was founded in 1854 as Ashmun Institute, and in 1866 received its present name in memory of the "Great Emancipator." It has preparatory, college, and theological courses. Brick dormitories, a chapel, and the administration building with classrooms and laboratories compose the university group.