< Back

Louisburg College

LOUISBURG COLLEGE, situated in a grove of oaks on the summit of the highest hill in town, is a standard coeducational junior college. Chartered in 1855, it was privately owned until 1907, when it was given to the North Carolina Methodist Conference by Benjamin Duke, heir of Washington Duke, into whose possession it had come in 1891. From 1902 to 1931 the college was restricted to the educa- tion of girls. Under a plan inaugurated in 1935, students are admitted at reduced fees in consideration of their performing work about the plant.