Malden, a hilly woodland area north of the Mystic River, was settled by Puritans in 1640 on land purchased in 1629 from the Pennacook tribe. The area was originally called the "Mistick Side" and was a part of Charlestown. It was incorporated as a separate town in 1649. The name Malden was selected by Joseph Hills, an early settler and landholder, and was named after Maldon, England. Malden, which originally included what are now the adjacent cities of Melrose (until 1850) and Everett (until 1870), was incorporated as a city in 1882. The first code of enacted laws printed in New England was compiled here by Joseph Hills in 1648. At the time of the American Revolution, the population was about 1000, and the citizens were involved early in resisting the oppression of Britain; they stopped using tea in 1770 to protest the Revenue Act of 1766, and Malden also has the reputation of being the first town to petition the colonial government to withdraw from the British Empire.