< Back

Old Presbyterian Meeting House

  • 323 S. Fairfax Street Alexandria, VA 22314
  • P. (703) 549-6670
  • Visit Website

Adjoining the sanctuary is a historical burial ground that is a memorial to the church’s founders and to heroes of the War of Independence and the leaders of early Alexandria. There the visitor will walk among the graves of the Carlyle's, Dennis Ramsay, William Hunter, Jr., the Muirs, and Dr. Craik. Also among the buried are other friends of President Washington and members of his Masonic Lodge. At one side of the graveyard is the Memorial to an Unknown Soldier of the American Revolution, erected by the National Society of the Children of the American Revolution and dedicated in 1929. Each year on the first Saturday in December, members of the St. Andrew’s Society, dressed in kilts, march to the graveyard to the music of their bagpipers to honor the Society’s founder, William Hunter, Jr., at his grave, followed with a worship service in the sanctuary.