This schoolhouse served the Cider Hill area of York for almost one hundred years. At first it was probably used only three or four months of the year, between planting time and harvesting, when children were free from farm chores. Originally built in 1745, it was located about one hundred yards from the present junction of Routes 1 and 91. When the local residents received permission from the Selectmen to build their schoolhouse, no funds were provided and they had "to construct at their own cost and charges." Ten years later the town voted that two pounds, three shillings and four pence (about $13) be paid out of town money "towards finishing the...schoolhouse." Records indicate "its construction did not proceed beyond the bare requirements of actual protection from the elements."