Called "the Mother Church of Northern Virginia," Pohick was the first permanent church in the colony to be established north of the Occoquan River, sometime prior to 1724. During the Colonial period, the Church hosted many of our country's most prominent families, including the Washingtons, Masons and Fairfaxes. The Civil War saw Union forces strip the building for souvenirs of "Washington's Church" and left graffiti on interior walls and doors. POHIGK CHURCH of Truro Parish, 24.2 m. (open daily in summer, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; in winter on Sat. and Sun.; free), was constructed in1769-74 under the supervision of George Washington, George Mason, and George William Fairfax, leading landowners of the parish. Washington owned two pews here for his family and guests, dividing his attendance between Pohick Church and Christ Church, Alexandria. The well-proportioned building, of brick laid in Flemish bond and of Aquia sandstone, went through such a long period of neglect and vandalism that the interior is largely a restoration. During the Civil War Union soldiers tore out the pews, used the baptismal font for a watering trough, and set up a target against one wall; the font, found many years later in a neighboring farmyard, is almost the only original piece of furnishing. The restored pews are unlike the earlier ones, which were high-backed to give privacy to the occupants.