Right from Gum Tavern along State 51, a paved road passing scattered log cabins and farmhouses. OLD FORK CHURCH, 6.2 m. (R), was built in 1735. Parish records show additions were made to the original building in Colonial times, but the brick walls, laid in Flemish bond, show little evidence of the patching. There are small porches on the front and one side supported by stone pillars that widen considerably toward the base. Inside at the rear is a slave gallery, but little else remains to indicate age, pews and walls having been renovated at intervals throughout the years. Extending along the rear outer wall of the church (R) is a long, narrow brick-walled en- closure containing a single row of gravestones. This church was attended by the Nelsons and the Pages, and these names appear frequently on the gravestones scattered around the building. At the eastern end of the church is buried the wife of Thomas Nelson, commander of the Virginia Militia, 1777-81, and a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Mrs. Nelson was long custodian of the com- munion silver of the church in her nearby home, Airwell, which, like many Old Dominion homes, has been destroyed by fire.