The "Hightower" ford on the old INDIAN TRAIL crosses BIG LYNCHES RIVER, which divides Chesterfield and Kershaw Cos. A peculiarity of the three channels of the Big Lynches is that in the E. and W. channels the water flows southward toward the junction with the Big Pee Dee, while in the middle channel it flows northward to connect with the E. channel. Kershaw Co., organized in 1798 and named in honor of Col. Joseph Kershaw, a Revolutionary leader and founder of Camden, has an area of 673 sq. m. Its northern part belongs to the Piedmont Plateau, with red hills, red clay sub-soil, and outcroppings of superior granite. A fine grade of cotton is produced in the county. The middle region is in the Sand Hill Belt, a part of the Coastal Plain, and is adapted to the culture of peaches and grapes. The southern part, in the river terrace region of level, rich, alluvial land, is subject to occa- sional overflow in the river valleys. In this region are large and ex- cellent plantations. US 1 follows the border of the fall-line through slightly rolling lands, with occasional settings of pecan orchards.