LOUISVILLE, seat of Jefferson Co., was for a time Georgia's capital. Having been at Savannah, the seat of government was moved temporarily to Augusta when Savan- nah fell into the hands of the British. Louisville was laid out in 1783 on a thousand-acre tract purchased by the State. The first statehouse was completed in 1796 in time for a session of the legislature, and the last session held there was in 1805, after which Milledgeville became the capital. The COUNTY COURTHOUSE, built from materials of the statehouse, now occupies the statehouse site. On Broad St., at a point where two Indian trails intersected, stands the old SLAVE MARKET (see illustration), built in 1758 before Louisville was founded. Hand-hewn posts support the roof, which is approximately 20 ft. square. The market bell, which had been sent in 1772 to a convent in New Orleans as a gift from the King of France,was captured by pirates and sold at Savannah, where it was bought for the Louisville market. In the Louisville City Cemetery, on W. 7th St., is a tall granite monument marking the GRAVE OF HERSGHEL V. JOHNSON, Governor of Georgia, a superior court judge, and candidate in 1860 for the Vice-Presidency of the United States. Near the cemetery is a small granite marker on the SITE OF LOUISVILLE ACADEMY, chartered in 1796; it was one of the earliest educational institutions in the State.