The centerpiece of Richmond’s new performing arts center is Loew’s Theater, a beautifully restored 1928 movie palace renamed the Carpenter Theatre. It is one of several venues at CenterStage. John Eberson, a renowned architect of movie houses, designed Loew’s Theater. It which opened on April 9, 1928, six months after The Jazz Singer, the first important talking picture, had premiered to signal the end of popular entertainment’s domination by silent movies and live vaudeville. Loew’s Theater, featuring elaborate decoration and a starry night sky with the illusion of moving clouds, has been carefully restored to its original grandeur.