Built in 1914, the Richmond Dairy Company building remains one of Richmond's best examples of the creativity and eccentricity of respected Richmond architecture firm Carneal & Johnston. The building was commissioned by the prosperous Richmond Dairy Company, which was started in 1890 by dairymen J.O. Scott, A.L. Scott and T.L. Blanton. The chain grocery stores and cardboard cartons forced the Richmond Dairy Company out of business in 1970, but the forty-foot tall milk bottles on either side of the front entrance to the building remain. The building has served many uses over the years, including its current form as rental apartments.