Englishman Richard Blackburn built the core of Rippon Lodge about 1747 and named it after his hometown. Numerous later additions have given the house its present form. It is open to the public. Richard Blackburn was a colonial entrepreneur and public servant who carefully positioned his house overlooking Neabsco Creek and the Potomac River. The interior contains much original woodwork, including two paneled rooms. Blackburn’s son, Lt. Col. Thomas Blackburn, served in the county militia during the American Revolution. Many later owners preserved Rippon Lodge over the years; the last owner sold it to Prince William County in 2000.