Charles Washington, younger brother of George Washington, constructed this building as his home in the 1760s. It became a tavern in 1792. Today, “tavern wenches” give lively guided tours. John Frazer converted Charles Washington’s former home into a tavern called the Golden Eagle in 1792, and it operated as a hostelry until 1823. The Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities bought it in 1907 and later reconstructed the long porch that once sheltered the front. The name Rising Sun mistakenly comes from a tavern sign discovered on the site; it actually belonged to a different tavern.