The NONESUCH RIVER, is so named for its remarkably crooked course to the sea, figured prominently in the affairs of Scarboro settlers and is mentioned in many early histories. Because it was impossible to bring boats of any size up this sharply winding tidal river, a canal was constructed, to follow the general course of the river. Instead of digging the entire canal by hand, the workers made a narrow ditch along the proposed course. The action of the tides car- ried away the loose soil, finally completing a project that would have required much back-breaking toil. Near the highway bridge, fisher- men congregate in May for the annual run of alewives. PROUT'S NECK, 5.5 m. (40 alt., Scarboro Town), is a pretentious summer settlement. Left is the SITE OF A BLOCKHOUSE where in 1703 eight men under Capt. John Larrabee for several days withstood a siege by 500 French and Indian marauders.In 1633 Thomas Cammock and his wife Margaret moved from Richmond's Island to Prout's Neck, then called Black Point. Here they were joined by Henry Josselyn and for a short time, in 1638, by his brother, John Josselyn. John's accounts of his visit, published as New England Rarities and elsewhere, repeat stories of sea serpents, witches' revels, and of a merman or triton that appeared in Casco Bay till Mr. Mitten chopped off its hand to prevent it from upsetting his canoe. Josselyn included a description of the native flora and of the Indians remarking, "There are many stranger things in the world than are to be seen between London and Stanes."