Edward Stabler established his shop in 1792; he moved it to this location in 1796. John Leadbeater, the brother-in-law of Stabler’s oldest son, William, directed the business after 1852. The shop closed in 1933. Company founder Edward Stabler was a Quaker abolitionist who bought and freed slaves with his own funds until he died in 1831. His son, William, then ran the business, until his death in 1852, but because he had no children, his brother-in-law John Leadbeater then took it over. After the shop closed, the Friends of the American Pharmaceutical Association and the Landmarks Society of Alexandria bought the contents and buildings for a museum.