Completed in 1883 to replace a firehouse built in 1849, Steamer Company No. 5 is an Italiante-style building constructed to fit on an irregular site in Jackson Ward. It now serves the arts as Gallery5. Steamer Company No. 5 once served not only as a firefighter’s station but also as a police station and jail. Its design and name reflects the transition from horse-drawn equipment to mechanized fire trucks that used steam to build water pressure. In 1968, the station closed when another one was constructed nearby. It served for several years as the Virginia Fire and Police Museum before being converted into a gallery and workshop in 2005.