Since 1964 this mid-19th-century mill and store has been a playhouse and restaurant. Mills operated on this site from about 1663 to 1956. Part of the first mill’s foundations may survive in the present building. Near here, along Swift Creek on May 9, 1864, Union Gen. Benjamin F. Butler’s Army of the James clashed with Confederate Gen. Bushrod R. Johnson’s command during Butler’s Bermuda Hundred Campaign. The Federals damaged supply lines—especially the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad—to Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia, then engaged north of Richmond. The next morning, Butler withdrew and the Confederates quickly repaired the railroad.